Excellent for dinner or lunchtime leftovers. Can be served warm or cold. Quinoa is a protein rich and gluten free alternative to pasta. Considered a super-food by many, add some spinach and you’re off to a great meal!
* 1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
* 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
* Coarse salt and ground pepper
* 2 pounds fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps halved
* 1 1/2 cups quinoa
* 1 pound baby spinach or more!
* 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
* Heat broiler
* In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
* On a large rimmed broiler-proof baking sheet, toss mushrooms with half the dressing (reserve the rest); broil, tossing occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
* Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine quinoa, 3 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cover, and simmer until liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. You can also prepare the quinoa in your rice cooker as you would brown rice.
* Place spinach in a large bowl; add hot mushrooms, quinoa, and reserved dressing.
* Toss to combine. Top with crumbled feta. Optional: cover salad for 5 minutes to allow spinach to wilt.
* Serve immediately and enjoy!
Adapted from Martha Stewart recipes
Follow Andréa on Twitter @DrAndreaProulx